Saturday, June 28, 2014

Frozen Meal Review: SELF Healthy Kitchen Garden Chicken Alfredo

I had never heard of this brand of frozen meals. Apparently, they are brought to us by Self magazine. They caught my eye in the latest Publix ad because they we're Buy One Get One Free. 

THE GOOD: These meals are made from antibiotic-free chickens and contain no artificial ingredients and are minimally processed (whatever that really means). This meal had 7 grams of fiber and a whopping 21 grams of protein!! (Also 320 calories, 6 fat). 

THE BAD: These mother freakin meals retail for $4.99 each. Seeing how I am not a Kardashian, there is no way in holy hell I'd drop $5 for a frozen meal for one person. However, at the BOGO price of 2.49, let's do this. 

THE EXPERIENCE:  It definitely had more food than most frozen meals, and it was very filling (see fiber and protein contents above). I was kind of nervous at first because, um, hello this is ALFREDO and this meal is not drowning in white sauce. But then I took a bite. It was sooo flavorful and there was actual shredded Parmesan cheese everywhere. The chicken pieces were small but numerous and yummy. There was loads and loads of pasta. Broccoli, peppers, and artichoke topped it off. It was definitely way tastier than your average frozen meal. 

THE VERDICT:  I will DEFINITELY buy these whenever Publix runs them BOGO, but I will never pay more than $2.50 for a frozen dinner.  It's against my religion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment