Saturday, July 6, 2013

Coleslaw for 75 calories!!




It's that time of the year.  The perfect time for grilling and throwing down on a hot dog. Not just any hot dog.  A hot dog that is smothered in toppings so heavily that you have no choice but to eat it with a fork.  I can make this happen for you.

First, let me tell you how to make the slaw. This is a recipe I make year-round.  I freaking love coleslaw.  I've made this slaw for many a gathering, and it is always a hit, even with the annoying naturally skinny people who have never had to taste a "diet" food in their lives.

 As usual, this recipe is simple.  If it's not simple, I don't have time for it.  I have no time for elaborate, ornate meals with fancy trimmings.  I've got a 5-year-old with special needs and the craziest, busiest toddler you will ever meet.  My husband is never home at dinner time due to his work hours, so I'm just not that motivated to cook a whole lot.

Anywho, here's the recipe



COLESLAW
16 oz bag of coleslaw mix
1 cup Kraft mayo with olive oil
2 TBS vinegar
2 TBS splenda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
Mix all ingredients together.  If you've never made coleslaw before, after you first mix it, you will think it's way too dry and you simple must add more mayo or something wet.  You are WRONG.  Please believe me as it will settle to a perfect texture in a few hours.  I highly recommend making this the day before you need to serve it.
*Makes about nine 1/2 cup servings.  Each serving is 75 calories.  No, I'm not lying.  I redid the math 75 times just to make sure.  You're welcome.






ULTIMATE SLAW DOG


Oscar Meyer light hot dog - 50 calories
Healthy Life hot dog bun - 80 calories
Great Value Hot Dog Chili Sauce -(10 calories per TBS)
Mustard - 0 calories
LIGHT COLESLAW- 75 calories per 1/2 cup

As you can see, if I use a whopping 4 TBS of that hot dog chili sauce, my entire slaw dog comes in at 245 calories.  And it's HUGE.  I ate one for dinner tonight.  I was out of chili sauce. :(  But, it was still awesome and only 205 calories.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment